Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Oncologist appointment update

This isn't a major update, but I do want to let you all know that Dad's appointment with the oncologist has been moved up to this coming Friday morning. This is all in thanks to Dad's urologist, who looked at the biopsy report and said he'd make some calls. I am relieved, because no matter the news, I would rather just know than take part in this ridiculous waiting game again.

Last night was another tough night because Wayne Billingsley finally lost his decade-plus-long battle with cancer. He was such a fighter. He was told just after last Christmas that it was time to call in Hospice, but he was so strong--he rallied again and again. He was out and about doing things and seeing friends, and that was so encouraging. He had taken a serious turn for the worse in the past month, though, and I am glad he doesn't have to suffer anymore. It was so hard to see him like that, and I know it was so emotionally draining for Peggy, Nikki, and Chad. Now he is at peace, and maybe his family can be, too, now that he is not just lingering here in a pain-riddled shell. It is so difficult, though, to have a close family friend die of cancer when you've just had your own father diagnosed with the disease.

It has been a long time since I really got on my knees before God, but I did that last night after receiving the news about Wayne. I praised God for His timing, for taking Wayne now and ending his suffering, I praised Him that Wayne is home getting an amazing Homecoming with his now perfect and cancer-free body, and I prayed earnestly for Peggy, Nikki, and Chad in their time of mourning, and of course, I prayed for my own father and his doctors, and that I will not have to see him suffer in the same way.

It seems that cancer dominates my every thought in the past week or so, even down to having dreams about receiving chemotherapy and waking up nauseated. I am so blessed that I have not had to deal with things like this before, but it is challenging having to face the idea of my parents and their friends growing older and passing.

That is all for now. I will update again after Dad sees Dr. Johnson.

1 comment:

Reforma Midwest said...

Not sure if you have already found it but there is a very supportive foundation for those who have bile duct cancer, also known as cholangiocarcinoma. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on the discussion board, if you have questions or need support, just go to www.cholangiocarcinoma.org