Thursday, January 8, 2009

My awesomeness can not be denied.

I went shopping yesterday and scored an 89-dollar pair of Michael Kors jeans at TJ Maxx for 40 bucks. Bonus! They are comfy and stretchy and look decent, which is saying a lot for me these days. So I pull the tags off this morning, put 'em on, and head out the door to get acquainted with my new students for the semester.

I'm up in front of class, yakking with them, in second period (I have first period planning), and suddenly, wayyyy in the back row, I see this hand go up. I call on the chick, and she says, "There's a sticker on your leg." So I look down, and yep. There it is. The big long clear sticker with the size on it is still on the jeans. Oh, yeah, baby--I was broadcasting my size tens to the world! Yeah! You know you're jealous of my awesomeness.

It could have been worse, though. When I was a junior in high school, back when CHS had a six-period school day, I had physical science 6th period. I walked in one day and Mr. Hixson had one of those size stickers on his pants. He had made it all day without being told.

Sure, I was a little embarrassed, but I had to laugh. And I thanked the girl that told me, too. I would have felt REALLY stupid if I'd discovered it way later and realized it had been there all day. I love my job, but there are drawbacks to having a career in which you stand in front of people all day--especially when the people in question are super-critical teens!

2 comments:

A. Davis said...

Totally my most embarrassing moment as a teacher... first day of my CAREER IN EDUCATION... first class I have ever taught, first day of class... in the final ten minutes of class, a girl told me the same thing. Thankfully it was the size from 8 years ago instead of the size it would be NOW, ha, ha!!!

Holly said...

Athena, that is hilarious. So that's THREE instances of that happening to teachers that we know about. It must be more common than we think... I just can't believe that Mr. Hixson made it an entire day with that thing on his pants...especially considering he worked with his wife.