Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Kids Really Do Say the Darndest Things!

My kid never fails to crack me up. First of all, when we returned from our trip to Destin, instead of being disappointed that our trip to the beach was over, he ran around with a seemingly adult perspective, saying over and over, "It's so good to be home!" I mean, he's three! Who ever heard of a three-year-old saying that?

But the really funny thing came later. I have a credit account with the Limited, and every so often, they send out these little cards good for a certain amount off of a purchase of a certain amount. So I took the card out of the envelope and laid it down. Apparently (I got this story from my husband), a little bit later, Dan comes by, picks it up, takes it to his father, and says, "What's this?" Mark looked at him and said, "Well, what do you think it is?" Dan thought about it for a minute and said, "Check card." That was funny enough (how does a three-year-old even know about check cards?!), but he quickly followed it up with, "Did you take it away from Mommy?"

The kid is a sponge. He doesn't miss a THING. Because I did get my check card taken away! Well, that's exaggerating a bit. It makes me sound a little like a twelve-year-old, doesn't it? The truth is, I surrendered it willingly to my husband because I can't be trusted with the thing. I swipe it so much that I'm surprised the plastic hasn't melted yet. So in accordance with our new "hey-let's-actually-not-spend-every-last-dime-we-make" financial plan, I allowed my check card to go live in Mark's wallet, to be handed out to me only when I need to buy gas or groceries or other necessities--NOT to be used, say, for really cute notecards at Annabelle Ink or for a shopping spree at Kohl's, or for that Margaritaville margarita maker I've had my eye on at Target. You know.

So apparently Dan has been quietly listening, taking all of that in, and it popped right back out at just the right time. I am beginning to see where he has the potential to reeeeally embarrass us. I may have to do the impossible--start keeping my mouth shut!

1 comment:

Fin said...

lol! they really do pay attention, don't they? glad this one didn't involve swear words ;) i have heard a few of those sorts of incidents...